Today was just great! We started off the day by playing a name game and by sharing things about ourselves. We also wrote about our family. Most importantly, we spent time establishing routines of the Daily 5 (Reading and Writing Program) and practicing the first part of the program. We created our first chart for:
Ways we choose books…
· Find one that is part of a series;
· By looking at the front cover;
· Making sure it is Just Right for me;
· Personal Connections;
· Books that are also movies;
· Recommended by your teacher / friend;
· Book you have heard out loud;
· By trying the beginning to see if we like it!
To help build our stamina (the maximum goal for this is 20 minutes – which allows for me to pull small groups for guided reading , word study, etc.) for reading, we spent time discussing what it meant to read to just ourselves! Here is what we decided as a class for Working on reading.
Working on Reading
· Read quietly to must myself;
· Select books out of my book box;
· Read anywhere in the room;
· Take care of my needs before we begin;
· Select books that are Just Right for me;
· Stay in my area and read!
· Giggle inside my head;
· Wait to share interesting things with my friend;
· Shop for books first thing when I come to class.
Also, we tried to solve a word problem together and a few kids shared their ways in solving the below problem.
Our wonderful day ended with Health Fitness and Art! I cannot believe that it flew by so quick!
Obviously, I will not be giving you a play by play scenario every day, but I definitely wanted you to be able to have conversations about the first day of school! J Thank you for sharing your wonderful kids with me!